TenPoint7 and John von Neumann Institute (Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) are looking to hire two (2) experienced Data Scientists & Researchers to be based in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. As a Data Scientist & Researcher, you will not only have the unique opportunity to influence the growth and strategy of a recent US based data-consulting phenomenon, team up with US clients and help them solve their toughest data analytics and insight challenges, but also be part of the world-class faculty of John von Neumann Institute (JVN) to build and prepare tomorrow’s global workforce of Data Scientists. This role requires spending few weekly hours teaching a course per semester in JVN’s new MS Data Science program. Some travel to client sites and team meet-ups in the United States will also be needed.
What You Will Do
- Team up with TenPoint7’s Lead Data Scientist on US client engagements and propose analytic solutions/models aligned with client business needs.
- Be responsible for the design, development & delivery of suitable analytic solutions for each client project based on industrial-sized data sets that typically will include model building; data acquisition, cleanup and filtering; identification of patterns & feature extraction; variable selection; experimentation with algorithms and performance analysis. You will be given responsibility for the overall quality & fit of the delivered solution/model.
- Assist in project management activities such as scoping projects, estimating work effort, assigning tasks to the MS Data Science students, identifying & communicating milestones and results, resolving project issues/risks, and transitioning solution to client team. Through all of these activities, you will collaborate closely across multi-functional client project and leadership teams.
- Lead, staff & engage the MS Data Science students on a project-by-project basis, as deemed feasible.
- Play a vital role in developing TenPoint7’s Data Science solution offerings and capabilities by developing and implementing re-usable analytical/statistical methodologies, processes and solutions that generate deeper and quicker analytical insights that can be then deployed across client engagements.
- Train, develop & mentor the MS Data Science students through knowledge sharing sessions, encouragement to undertake relevant research activities, and other appropriate methods.
- Teach a course per semester in the MS Data Science program. This usually entails 3-4 hours a week.
- Additionally, you might be requested to assist a senior Professor in teaching another course or assist in research activities. This will be capped at about 36 hours per semester
Who You Are
- PhD in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Econometrics or other related quantitative fields from a world class university with solid experience as a Research and Teaching Assistant.
- Strong record of high-impact research in university, private sector or government in relevant Data Science disciplines such as distributed/high-performance computing, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, distributed systems, etc.
- Strong capacity to teach and mentor students at graduate level. Native-like fluency in Vietnamese & business proficiency English language skills is a must.
- 2-3 years industry experience (preferably in US) with a demonstrable track record of leveraging Data Science techniques on high-volume & high dimensionality of data that made a solid business impact. Experience working in a consulting services capacity while delivering data science projects will be a huge plus (though not necessary).
- Expertise in predictive analytics, statistical modeling and/or data mining algorithms is necessary. Must have knowledge and/or professional experience in some of the following: Multivariate Regression, Logistic Regression, Support Vector Machines, Bagging, Boosting, Decision Trees, clustering algorithms.
- People management experience having managed small to mid sized teams of Jr. Data Scientists/Analysts, graduate or doctoral students, or other technical staff.
- Solid proficiency and working experience with at least some statistical software packages and analysis tools such as R, SAS, SPSS, or MATLAB.
- Advanced skills in writing efficient code in Python or Perl.
- Working experience in Hadoop, Spark, Storm or related distributed platforms and associated languages such as Pig, Hive, or Mahout.
- Working knowledge and good skills with SQL and relational and non-relational databases.
- Solid communication and presentation skills, including the ability to clearly articulate the solution and implications of a complex model to all types of audiences, and utilize presentation tools such as MS PowerPoint, Prezi, and/or Visio.
What JVN & TenPoint7 Offer & Our Commitment to You
JVN & TenPoint7 are on a collaborated mission to build tomorrow’s data scientists while engaging with enterprises today to solve their current data insight challenges. Our academia/industry partnership is unique and progressive led by a thoroughly experienced group of entrepreneurs, industry professionals and world-class scientists/faculty members. We can guarantee a hyper entrepreneurial environment that will be extremely engaging, fast-paced, working in close collaboration with both academia and industry to provide the best possible solutions and experiences for US enterprises while simultaneously preparing & mentoring Vietnam’s brightest upcoming talent for tomorrow’s scientific workforce.
Both JVN & TenPoint7 provide the following perks that include:
- Highly competitive commercial salaries in HCMC offered through JVN.
- Solid benefits package offered to all JVN faculty staff.
- Profit sharing possibility at TenPoint7.
- Build a growing Data Science commercial practice, get hands-on experience conducting business development, and influence TenPoint7’s growth strategy and direction.
- Unique opportunity to make a real world impact – we are addressing tomorrow’s global human resource problem of a critical shortage in data intense skill sets.
- Continuous growth opportunities through teaching and nurturing top notch talent at one of Vietnam’s most highly regarded and prestigious higher-learning institutions along with conducting ongoing research activities.
- Travel to USA for team meet-ups, client visits and presentations.
- Continuous professional development through sponsored certifications and attendance at relevant industry conferences.
- A very open & thoroughly entrepreneurial culture that fosters collaborative learning and sharing of ideas & solutions.
About John von Neumann Institute (Vietnam National University, HCMC)
Created in July 2010, John von Neumann Institute (JVN) of Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City (VNUHCM) is a Center of Excellence in post-graduate research, education and innovation in the fields of Applied Mathematics, Systems Science, Knowledge Science, and Information Science. JVN was established to be a regional leader in high impact areas of Machine Learning & Applications, Quantitative Finance & Economics, and Digital Innovation & Entrepreneurship. It also serves to be a hub for overseas academia and professional experts to contribute to the development of science and technology propelling domestic growth through strategic work programs and relationships with JVN.
TenPoint7 is a growing data centric consulting services company based in Seattle, WA with a global implementation office and Data Science R&D lab located in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. We deliver top-notch offshore outsourcing services specializing in Business Intelligence and Data Science in the areas of data provisioning, preparation/cleansing, delivery, exploratory data analysis, statistical modeling with project delivery and management provided by our highly experienced US onshore team. We are driven by these 3 simple things: Data, People & Value.